Making sense of history, June 4-5, 2020
Call for Papers and presentations
Making sense of history seeks to strengthen research on history pedagogy by furthering cooperation between history education practice and research. Scholars and practitioners interested in the pedagogy of history in both schools and universities are invited to submit proposals that address the learning, teaching and researching of history in schools, universities, and, more generally, society. We encourage submissions from teachers who specialise in history or social science education, as well as from graduate students and scholars.
We invite proposals for presentations, panels and workshops on a variety of relevant topics, including (but not limited to) the following questions:
- How do we teach historical thinking and skills-based history to students?
- How can educators support the teaching and learning of skills-based history and historical thinking?
- How to teach multiliteracies in history?
- What kinds of skills are needed in learning history and developing historical thinking?
- How can new platforms (social media, digital archives, etc.) support the development of historical thinking?
- How can we assess students’ historical thinking and its development?
- What innovative pedagogical methods exist for teaching history?
Over the course of this two-day conference, scholars, teachers and practitioners will share their research findings, offering examples of cutting-edge approaches and engaging in dynamic discussions that will help nurture intercultural dialogue and bridge scholarly and practical questions.
Keynote speakers for the conference are Carla von Boxtel (University of Amsterdam) and Minna-Riitta Luukka (University of Jyväskylä).
Conference venue is Ruusupuisto, University of Jyväskylä campus.
The conference is bilingual, in English and Finnish. The conference is designed so that there is English-language programme throughout.
Proposal materials must be submitted by 12.1.2020. Details on submitting proposals will be published later. Please send all materials to e-mail address email@example.com.
The accepted proposals will be notified by 17.1.2020.
The conference has a participation fee of 85 eur, which covers conference materials, coffee breaks and a reception with food and drinks.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Conference organizing team is: Simo Mikkonen, Anna Veijola, Sari Sulkunen & Ida Vesterinen